×  Home Map Login About

Layer Gallery

Marblehead Soldiers’ Monument

Description:

A granite obelisk standing at 34 feet high, Marblehead’s Soldiers’ Monument was erected in 1876, the same year as the town’s Mugford Monument, and dedicated on the centennial July 4. Although its north-side inscription honours the memory of ‘Our Country’s Defenders’ throughout three wars - the Revolution of 1776, the War of 1812, and the Civil War - the Monument’s east, west, and south sides are reserved for the names of the 138 soldiers who died in the latter conflict. In May 1913, the Soldiers’ Monument was removed from its original location at Green, Mugford and Elm streets, and relocated to what is now known as Memorial Park.

Collection Objects

Contents