Located in the Mount Hope Cemetery, just outside of Bangor, this Soldiers’ Monument was one of the first monuments to be erected in Maine. Erected by the Citizens of Bangor and dedicated to the men of Bangor who served during the war, this monument was consecrated on 17th June 1864. With the dominant engraving facing towards the Penobscot River, this twenty-foot granite monument is composed of a stepped base, a midsection inscribed with a main inscription and the names of fallen Union troops and surmounted by an obelisk. The conception of the monument, and a dedicated lot for civil war veterans, originated in February 1863 with the arrival of the body of Col. Stephen Decatur Carpenter, the first of Bangor’s casualties. Over the course of 1863 The Soldiers Cemetery Corporation was formed and raised $3,489.94 from public subscription to fund the lot and monument. The monument was designed by S. P. Bradbury of Bangor and created by Sanborn & Co. based in East Cambridge, MA. Throughout the war a larger GAR lot was later established.