×  Home Map Login About

Layer Gallery

Homepage

Jefferson Davis Highway Marker

Description:

In 1913, the Daughters of the Confederacy began a campaign to dedicate a route across the southern United States as the “Jefferson Davis Highway,” a stretch later to include U.S. Route 99. In 1940, with unofficial state approval, the Daughters of the Confederacy erected stone markers at each end of the Washington State portion of U.S. Route 99, designating it the Jefferson Davis Highway. The stones are identical simple rectangular granite prisms, with an engraved dedication on the front. The city of Vancouver removed their marker stone from public land in 1998 and placed it in a cemetery shed. In 2002, the monument was moved to become part of an installation at the Clark County Historical Museum. In 2007, the stone was again moved to the newly instated Washington Davis Park, where it remains to this day. The Blaine, Washington stone also resides in the Jefferson Davis Park, after its removal in 2002 by state officials upon realizing the designation was never official. In March of 2016, the Washington State Legislature renamed U.S. Route 99 the “William P. Stewart Memorial Highway,” in honor of an Black volunteer during the civil war.

Collection Objects

Contents