The granite monument consists of a base with an obelisk on top standing 35 ft. tall in total. The north and south sides of the base have inscriptions, one being from the poem "Bivouac Of The Dead” and the other listing the regiments from Caldwell County. On June 3, 1910, the dedication ceremony began at 10am with a short parade that featured “grizzled heroes of the sixties” marching on foot and commanded by their own officers. Its opening was marked by the appearance of Judge Walter Clark, who at age 14 became the youngest Major in the Confederate Army. During the era of monument building in the early decades of the 20th century Clark became one of the most sought out monument dedication orators. He delivered six such speeches, three of which have survived. He was considered the states preeminent Civil War historian.