A bronze soldier, with musket drawn and pointed forward, stands atop a granite plinth. On the base, two bronze relief panels depict a lone woman, one holding the shield of Virginia, the other a Confederate flag. The statue, designed by Frederick W. Sievers, was dedicated on 3 June 1908 in the presence of a large crowd of approximately 5,000. It was gifted by the William E. Jones Camp of Confederate Veterans of Abingdon to the Daughters of the Confederacy, who took on the responsibility of maintaining the statue. In Summer 2020, a petition to remove the monument was started, but as of October 2021 the monument remains outside the courthouse.