John W. Jones Monument (Chemung, New York)
This small commemorative marker made of granite and bronze is located within Woodlawn National Cemetery, the location where John W. Jones was the caretaker in charge of burying the Confederate dead of Elmira Military Prison, located nearby. It was paid for with funds raised by local high school students and Elmira citizens and dedicated in 1997. The cemetery is located beside a town cemetery, also called Woodlawn, where John W. Jones and Mark Twain (among other prominent Elmirans) are buried. The John W. Jones Museum is located across the street from the national cemetery.
June 22, 1997
"Between July 1864 and August 1865, 2973 Confederate soldiers were buried here with kindness and respect by John W. Jones, a runaway slave. They have remained in these hallowed grounds of Woodlawn National Cemetery by family choice because of the honorable way in which they were laid to rest by a caring man."
Want more Info? Click the Expand button below:
June 22, 1997
0m x 0.9144000000000001m x 0.45720000000000005m
Cost / Value:
$1,500 (in 1997)
The Southside High School diversity group (also called The Jones Nine); Southside High school Assistant Principle and Diversity Liaison Arline Ely; local supporters including Lucy Brown and Bill Wheeler
funds raised by The Jones Nine, Southside High School
National Cemetery Administration, U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
Read below for one of our contributor’s reflections on this monument