Arlington Soldiers' Monument
A victory column of classic design, Arlington’s Soldier’s Monument, made up of three different types of granite rising to 42 feet, is surmounted by a stone eagle. The column's primary inscription is dedicated to the remembrance of Arlington’s Union soldiers who lost their lives during the Civil War, each of which is inscribed on the Westerly red granite along the sides of the column; these sides are further ornamented with fluted pilasters, wreaths, and lion heads. The monument was dedicated on June 17, 1887.
Architects - Van Brunt and Howe
June 17, 1887
Want more Info? Click the Expand button below:
Granite (sourced from Barre, VT; Quincy, MA; and Westerly, RI)
" x " x 504"
Mitchell Granite Company of Quincy
Cost / Value:
The Town of Arlington
The Town of Arlington (via appropriation ($4000) and subscription - $14,000)
Read below for one of our contributor’s reflections on this monument