Monuments

Monuments

Houlton Civil War Monument


Union

Located at Monument Park in the Town of Houlton, this Union Soldiers' monument is dedicated to the soldiers and sailors of Houlton who lost their lives during the American Civil War. In 1902 the Great Fire of Houlton destroyed a large portion of the town centre, a section of the burned area was later used for the construction of a park, the monument, and the Cary Library. The monument, constructed by the Houlton Granite and Marble Works, is made of granite and consists of a multitiered base surmounted by a Union soldier depicted at parade rest. The Lower section has a mounted bronze plaque, this plaque honours a native of Houlton: Major General Henry C. Merriam. Merriam served as a Lieutenant Colonel and commanded the 73rd United States Colored Troops Infantry Regiment. The platform of the monument is decorated with eight evenly-spaced cannonballs. The monument was funded by the Town of Houlton and private subscription, and it was dedicated on May 31, 1909.


Monument type:

Statue - standing soldier

Artist:

Dedication Date:

May 31, 1909

Address:

United States

Inscription:

G.A.R./ In Memory/ Of Our Soldiers/ Of/ 1861-1865

Want more Info? Click the Expand button below:

Expand
Conception Date:
/
Opening Date:
Material:
granite figure, granite shaft, concrete base, and Bronze Plaque
Size:
0m x 0m x 7.62m
Creator:
Houlton Granite and Marble Works
Cost / Value:
Erected by:
The Town of Houlton
Funded by:
$1,000 by the Town of Houlton, and $2,500 through private subscription
Run by:
Organization/Curator:

Read below for one of our contributor’s reflections on this monument


Entry Contributor(s):
Conall Treen