Monuments

Monuments

Presque Isle’s Civil War Monument


This fifteen-foot high marble obelisk with a four-foot square granite base, surmounted with a sculpture of an eagle, is Presque Isle’s Civil War Monument and was formerly known as the “Soldier’s Monument”. It is located in Fairmount Cemetery and it memorialises soldiers who served and died during the American Civil War, 1861 – 1865. This monument was built by S.P. Bradbury of Bangor, and it bears thirty-eight names of soldiers from the town. The monument was erected in 1873 by the town of Presque Isle and was funded by collections from local women. The monument was dedicated on July 4, 1874. The ceremony was presided over by Reverend Collamore Purington, who had served in the war as a Chaplain of the 7th Maine Volunteer Infantry and James Phair, a local Civil War Veteran, served as Marshall of the Day.


Monument type:

Obelisk

Artist:

Dedication Date:

July 4, 1874

Address:

United Kingdom

Inscription:

Died For Our/Country

Want more Info? Click the Expand button below:

Expand
Conception Date:
/
Opening Date:
Material:
Marble, Granite
Size:
cm x cm x 457.2cm
Creator:
Bradbury of Bangor
Cost / Value:
Erected by:
The Town of Presque Isle
Funded by:
Local women of Presque Isle
Run by:
Fairmount Cemetery Association
Organization/Curator:

Read below for one of our contributor’s reflections on this monument


Entry Contributor(s):
Conall Treen