Monuments

Monuments

Colby Memorial Hall


Originally located on the old Colby College campus, on College Avenue, this Memorial Hall was erected for new college classrooms and was dedicated to the students and graduates of Colby College who fought and died during the American Civil War 1861 – 1865. The Memorial Hall was designed by Alexander Esty of Boston, and the building consisted of a chapel on the west wing, an alumni hall on the second floor, a library in the east wing, and a belfry tower. The Hall was funded by Colby College, Ladies of Bangor and public subscription. Installed into the east wall of Alumni hall was another memorial, based on the Lion of Lucerne, and accompanied by a tablet inscribed with the names of the Union soldiers. The hall was dedicated on August 10, 1869. However, the college was moved to Mayflower Hill during the 20th Century, and the hall was later razed along with the rest of the old campus in 1966.


Monument type:

Memorial hall

Artist:

Alexander R. Esty of Boston

Dedication Date:

August 10, 1869

Address:

United States, Maine

Inscription:

None

Want more Info? Click the Expand button below:

Expand
Conception Date:
1866
Opening Date:
Material:
Rubblestone and wood
Size:
Creator:
Carpenter: J. P. Blunt
Cost / Value:
Erected by:
Colby College
Funded by:
The main contributors were Colby College (through sale of timber on lands and stumpage rights), Ladies of Bangor, faculty members, and private subscription including $4,100 from Gardner Colby
Run by:
Organization/Curator:

Read below for one of our contributor’s reflections on this monument


Entry Contributor(s):
Conall Treen